From the Open-Publishing Calendar
From the Open-Publishing Newswire
Indybay Feature
Related Categories: Palestine | International
2 Palestinians killed in separate IAF strikes in Gaza Strip
by Haaretz (reposted)
Saturday Jul 15th, 2006 10:59 AM
Two Palestinians were killed in separate Israel Air Force strikes in the Gaza Strip on Saturday morning.
Palestinian sources said that one person was killed and eight others were wounded in an IAF attack on a house in Gaza City.

Earlier Saturday, an armed Palestinian was killed in an IAF strike in central Gaza, Palestinian witnesses reported.

According to the Israel Defense Forces, Khalil Abu Nachfeib, 18, was shot dead after hurling grenades toward the security fence.

Also early Saturday, an IAF missile hit the offices of the Palestinian Economy Ministry early Saturday.

The strike set the building on fire, Palestinian officials said. There were no immediate reports of casualties.

Rescue teams rushed to the scene of the attack, located near a housing complex inhabited by some 600 people.

Soon after, another IAF airstrike destroyed a small bridge near the Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, Palestinian officials said.

The Israel Defense Forces confirmed both airstrikes.

Meanwhile, the IDF completed its latest incursion into the central Gaza Strip on Friday morning.

The operation concluded after Givati, Golani and armored corps forces overtook the corridor between Kibbutz Kissufim inside Israel and the ruins of former Gush Katif settlements, entering the outskirts of Khan Yunis and Dir el-Balah in Gaza.

by ALJ
Saturday Jul 15th, 2006 11:00 AM
Israeli air strikes have hit a house in Gaza City, killing one person and injuring eight.

The dead man was 33-year-old Omar Yunis and that the injured were mostly women and children, the youngest an eight-month-old baby, Aljazeera's correspondent said.

Two missiles struck the house in al-Nafaq Street.

The Israeli army said Palestinian factions were storing and manufacturing weapons in the house, Aljazeera's correspondent said.

The attack follows the death of an 18-year-old Palestinian in an Israeli helicopter strike in a village near Deir al-Balah in the central Gaza Strip.

Scaled back

Israel withdrew tanks and bulldozers from most areas of central Gaza on Friday but is continuing an air campaign to secure the release of a captured soldier.

Tanks and armoured jeeps that were positioned in the centre of the Gaza Strip near the Deir al-Balah refugee camp and the town of Khan Yunis have pulled out of the area.

by Arab News (reposted)
Saturday Jul 15th, 2006 11:27 PM
GAZA CITY, 16 July 2006 — Two Palestinians were killed as Israel pounded Gaza with fresh air raids yesterday. Ten people were wounded including three babies, in Israel’s campaign to retrieve a captured soldier. A25 -year-old Palestinian was killed when Israeli aircraft slammed two missiles into a three-story building in Gaza City, which the Israeli Army described as a weapons factory used by Hamas fighters. Three infants and three women were among 10 other people wounded in the strike, medical sources said.

Earlier, an18 -year-old Palestinian was killed by an Israeli helicopter strike in a village near Deir Al-Balah.

Firefighters were searching for bodies among the ruins of the building in Gaza City — which was demolished, with a huge crater dug out by the blast — according to an AFP correspondent. An Israeli Army spokeswoman said the building was being used as a rocket factory and ammunitions depot by members of the ruling group Hamas, and that Hamas members were inside at the time. “The powerful blast that occurred afterward could have been caused by the explosion of ammunition stashed inside the building,” she said. The building belonged to a Hamas member, a professor at the Islamic University in Gaza, although he did not live on the premises.

Some neighbors said the building now served as a shop selling wood for construction work, although others said it was used as a “secret meeting place” for various groups.

Armed members of Hamas’ armed wing, the Ezzedine Al-Qassam Brigades, swarmed around the building after the attack, pushing journalists away.